This all-purpose dough is the perfect recipe for all you dough-y meals: loaves, pretzels, pizzas. The great thing about this recipe is it can be made the night before, so you have ready-to-go bread for the morning. I love fresh baked bread in the morning! The ability to let this rise overnight is great.
The recipe only requires 5 ingredients: flour, water, yeast, salt, and oil. The oil is optional, but I really like the softness it brings to the final result. If you would like to learn how to make this dough, keep on reading!
- 1 cup water room temperature
- 1 tbsp instant dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- In a small cup, add yeast to warm water. Set aside to allow it to froth.
- In large mixing bowl, mix flour and salt together. Once yeast mixture is frothy, add the oil or melted butter. Create a well in the flour and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until a shaggy dough forms. Use your hands to further mix it into a soft, smooth dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Then knead it again for another 2.
- Oil either a large ziploc bag or bowl and place the dough inside. If using the bag, close the ziploc 3/4 of the way. If using a bowl, cover with a damp towel.
- Set on the counter in a warm place to let rise until the double the size OR make the dough in the evening and place it in the fridge overnight.
- Once it has risen, dump it onto a floured surface and light press out any air bubbles. Let is sit an additional 10 minutes. Now you're ready to roll it out for whatever you wish to use the dough for.
- This beautiful all-pupose dough is great for bread, pretzels, pizzas, you name it! This is best baked at 400°F (200°C). Times will vary based on size and thickness of dough. It should be a light golden brown on the outside when it is done.