Living on a boat is fantastic, however some of the places we visit are quite rural and don’t have the majority of delicacies and food items we enjoy. For example, salsa can be hard (or expensive!) to come by, it’s generally found in touristy and resort-laden places and at insane USD prices. I’ve seen salsa (same brand as back home in Canada) for over $7USD. Crazy!
This means I have to be crafty and resourceful, it’s usually cheaper for us to purchase the ingredients of most foods to make at home. It’s also much more yummy in my opinion–you have the freedom to tweak the recipes to your personal tastes.
To solve our salsa problem, I’ve tested this pico de gallo recipe. It’s fresh, delicious, easy, and made with ingredients that are inexpensive. Just 5 ingredients: tomato, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice. The pico de gallo is delicious on wraps, salads, burgers, tacos, burritos, literally everything… Keep reading for the recipe!
Pico De Gallo
- 5 medium tomatoes finely diced
- 1 small white onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Chop the onion and place in bowl alongside the lime juice. Let it sit while you chop the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the diced tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro. Give everything a good stir. Enjoy!