These ooey-gooey vegan mozzarella spread is great for literally everything. Garlic bread, pizza, quesadillas, mac n’ cheese, nachos…Should I keep going? I’ve even used it as a base for a delicious spinach and artichoke dip. Made with only 7 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of your time, it’s super easy to make.
This has easily become a must-have in my fridge for obvious reasons: it just adds the stretchy delicious-ness that makes biting into a grilled cheese sandwich so satisfying. All without the cruelty!
Just soak the cashews for at least 4 hours (or overnight), or boil them for 10 minutes until soft. Then, blend blend blend! Pour everything into a small saucepan and stir on medium-low heat until it thickens. The tapioca flour is vital to this recipe. When it heats and begins to activate, and creates this stretchy consistency similar to that of melted cheese.
Spread this on freshly baked bread using my All-Purpose Dough recipe!
The beauty of the vegan mozzarella spread is it will keep in the fridge in a airtight container for up to a week. So it’s a perfect meal prep item for quick and easy meals: mac n’ cheese (just boil pasta and stir in mozzarella spread), grilled cheese (spread inbetween two slices of bread and grill), pizza (dollop on rolled out dough). Or heat it up and use it as a dip!
Vegan Mozzarella Spread
- Blender / Food Processor
- 200 mL raw cashews soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp nooch
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 4 tbsp soy milk unsweetened
- salt to taste
- The night before, add cashews to a bowl with water until just covered. Cover and set aside.
- The next day (or after at least 4 hours of soaking), add cashews with their water to a blender with all other ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, pour the mixture in. Keep stirring until the sauce heats and begins to thicken. The tapioca starch is activating and creating the gooey texture similar to melted cheese. (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Once the desired consistency is reached, remove from heat! The spread will continue to thicken as it cools. Enjoy!